The opening Sunday for the NFL season always brings surprises. The first Sunday saw two overtime games, multiple blowouts and another reminder to never bet against the New England Patriots. Here’s a recap of a wild NFL Sunday.
Chiefs 40, Jaguars 26
• Patrick Mahomes left no doubt this week, passing for 378 yards and 3 touchdowns. Sammy Watkins caught 198 of those yards and all three touchdowns. Nick Foles was knocked out with a left clavicle injury during his first touchdown pass.
Vikings 28, Falcons 12
• The Vikings defense kept the Falcons out of the endzone until the final minutes, as Dalvin Cook ran wild against the Falcons defense. He totaled 111 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
Titans 43, Browns 13
• This is the game that will be talked about on all the talk shows. Baker Mayfield threw three interceptions. Derrick Henry was a work horse, rushing for 84 yards and a touchdown and adding a 75-yard catch and score.
Bills 17, Jets 16
• The Bills spoiled Le’Veon Bell’s debut with the Jets, scoring 17 unanswered points in the fourth quarter.
Ravens 59, Dolphins 10
• Lamar Jackson completed 17 passes on 20 attempts, connecting for five touchdowns and 324 yards. The Ravens look poised for the AFC North division title.
Eagles 32, Redskins 27
• The Redskins quickly jumped to a 17-0 lead, before allowing the Eagles to go on a 32-3 run. Eagles bettors had to be punching the air, as the Redskins scored on nearly the last play of the game to ruin the 10-point spread. Both Case Keenum and Carson Wentz were sharp in the game, as they each passed for over 300 yards and three touchdowns.
Rams 30, Panthers 27
• The Rams offense lacked the spark that was evident last year, but they were able to outscore the Panthers and keep the Cam Newton led offense at bay. Christian McCaffrey was a star, with 209 total yards and two touchdowns.
Chargers 30, Colts 24(OT)
• The Colts looked great without Luck, leading a late surge to force overtime. The Chargers received the kickoff and scored quickly to start the season great without Melvin Gordon.
Seahawks 21, Bengals 20
• The Bengals played well in their first game without head coach Marvin Lewis. Russell Wilson made big plays down the stretch to keep the Seahawks in control.
Cowboys 35, Giants 17
• Dak Prescott passed for 405 yards and four touchdowns, with Amari Cooper being on the receiving end for 106 yards and one score. The duo clearly looks motivated to prove their worth within the organization.
49ers 31, Buccaneers 17
• This turned out to be one of the sloppier games of the afternoon, with four touchdowns being called back by penalties in the first half, two of which were receiving touchdowns from George Kittle. The Bucs were limited offensively, and the 49ers took control.
Lions 27, Cardinals 27(OT)
• Is there anything more disappointing than a tie? Kyler Murray led a late game comeback in the fourth quarter of his debut, forcing overtime. The two teams shared field goals and settled for a tie.
Patriots 33, Steelers 3
• Never bet against the Patriots. They own the Steelers every matchup. Tom Brady threw for 341 yards and three touchdowns, with Josh Gordon adding 73 yards and one touchdown. This team isn’t ready to pass the torch yet.